Posted: Jan 05 2014
This soup is as easy and quick as it comes to make! Just throw all the ingredients in a pot, let simmer for about 30 minutes, then enjoy a bowl of spicy, hot goodness that will warm up any cold evening! Although some chicken tortilla soup recipes can produce a thin broth that lacks flavor, this one is thick and creamy with a hint of spice.
Top bowls with crushed crunchy tortilla chips or tortilla strips. Depending on what you enjoy, also add avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, and jalapeño slices.
- 6 tsp. vegetable oil
- 6 corn tortillas (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 4-6 cooked chicken breasts (shredded or diced)
Optional Ingredients to Garnish Bowls:
- Shredded Monterrey cheese
- Avocado (cubed)
- Sour cream
- 2 corn tortillas (sliced and fried)
- Gather and cut up all ingredients.
- Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat again and add salt and cayenne.
- Keep on low heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken.
- Reheat and garnish with shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, fried tortilla strips, and anything else you'd like.